Pages

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Whore, Skeptics, Wombat, Nerds Oh Myyyyy!!!

Sooo, in-lieu of meeting people, I have been fairly prevalent. So lets see, where should I begin.

Well a few nights ago, a rather cute young woman caught me waiting to cross the street, near the street corner where I live. She was nice, and it was cold out, and she made mention of the cold weather. This cute young woman then asked if I was looking for a girl. My hoe-meter immediately turned to "ALERT ALERT POSSIBLE STDS IN THE VACINITY." I basically said I was going home, and walked away. She was nice, and I was quite flattered that such a nice question was presented to me, I assume she was a prostitute, but that might also be my bias or my American preconceptions coming out. She was nice, cute, and well I can't say that she actually looked like a rent-a-chick, but all of her questions/statements (cold weather and am I looking for a girl) just seems to me to be a hint of something I want nothing to do with. Either way, I am still flattered.

On Monday I went to the Victorian Skeptics meeting (a branch of the Australian Skeptics group). Nice group of people. The speaker, Don Hyatt, spoke on the "Problem with Education." The latter being an perspective of the Australian educational establishment. His talk should be available on their site. It was a fantastic talk, however I was kinda hoping more for the Intelligent Design vs Evolution in school talk. It was little on that, which I inferred from the agenda posted online. I won a chocolate (not vegan) treat "Freddo" for asking a question. I kinda just let the chocolate sit on the table as if I forgot I had won something. I met some really cool people there, and even ran into one of the board gamers from the meeting last Saturday.

After leaving the Skeptics meeting, I needed to score some bread. Not money, but actual processed flour concoction. Unlike the states, and Mitch from the local hackergroup concurs, the ingredients on Australian food products is much shorter than all the bullpoop we put in the American stuff. Why? Probably because we Americans have to have chemical crap in all of our foods to monetarily benefit the big-wigs of the food-producing world. How else could we peddle off flouride, or get rid of depleted uranium? Ok ok thats the mini-conspiracy-Matt coming out. Anyways, as I was on the way to the store I saw, what I first thought might be a racoon, or maybe a fox, but as I got closer, it was some creature I had never seen in the wild before, I think it was a wombat! Sweet! It was mega-cute and chill, kinda like opossums in the states. I think it was a wombat, maybe a wallaby instead?

And then tonight, Tuesday, I attended the Connected Community Hacker Space (CCHS), a local Melbourne hacker group. It was so cool. I met Mitch and George on the tram and they directed me to train system, and to the house where the meeting was. They walk like they are on a mission, their iron-legs. I felt totally weak in their presence. They were much fun, and lots of cool people were met at the space! They were all totally welcoming, and Mitch really made me feel welcome by saying he thought I would fit in well. Really he and George have been great help just talking with them over the net. The space had a makerbot, and made a police whistle deal, with the ball in the middle! Cool device. I suggested making a Cap'n' Crunch Whistle to generate useless bluebox tones (2600Hz). I also thought it might be cool to fabricate a whole nativity scene out of toast. That might do nice on ebay. Kinda like one-upping the "holy" images that people claim to have been presented to them by their toaster. Seems like a humorous message to me. If the toaster here starts sending me messages, like a holy-fax-machine of processed carbs, that might freak me a tad.

3 comments:

  1. Re the chick: No harm in talking dude. Yeah she may have been working (gotta pay for Uni somehow) but it's very unlikely to be bait for a scam. That doesn't seem to happen here. And coffee's good to share on a cold night.

    Fun fact: Prostitution here is legal, and regulated. Yay. Street walking isn't.

    I bet the creature you saw was a possum:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

    When they're calling out, they make strangling, gargling, screeching, hissing noises that are impossible to describe. Well I know I just tried, but I can't do them justice. If at night you hear such noises, it's probably possums.

    So glad you liked our 'space!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @mjd: Yeah bro! It was a possum. Or opossum, as we spell it in the US :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. possum is a different animal - not Irish.

    I dont believe you really went to a skeptics meeting.

    ++wb

    ReplyDelete